The last post ended with a list things I believe now versus beliefs from my previous life. (No, I’m not talking about reincarnation!) These are the differences in my life and belief system in the last 13 years.
I thought of a few more things to add to that list:
- I went from believing a Godly woman had to look and dress a certain way to having total freedom in a modest appealing appearance.
- I went from looking like a sister worker to not looking like one at all. I have short hair, wear make-up and jewelry and very seldom wear dresses or skirts. Now I feel feminine and pretty and, most importantly, I feel totally at peace about each of these areas. (Believe me, I prayed my way through all of those steps.)
- I went from believing God only listened to and approved of Hymns Old & New as music for church to experiencing Him speaking to me very powerfully through all kinds of Christian music.
- I went from believing Christmas and Easter were worldly religious holidays not to be acknowledged at all with any spiritual connection, to loving and cherishing and celebrating them with the body of Christ. I find these days extremely meaningful and precious.
- And speaking of Christmas, I went from a belief of NO decorations to now creating an even more beautiful home that time of year with a tree, lights (inside and outside), candles and decorations.
- I went from reading only the King James Version of the Bible to enjoying reading from a number of translations.
- From my “other reading” consisting only of workers notes, the Readers Digest (yawn!) and some non-fiction and fiction, to discovering Christian authors, blogs and watching some of my favorite Christian teachers on TV.
Yes, I do have a TV. And yes, there is a lot of stupid stuff on there and certainly a lot of non-edifying stuff and things that disturb my peace. I don’t watch those kinds of programs but I do enjoy just relaxing for a while with some programs.
- Where I used to condemn all other preachers, pastors or ministers who are not workers to hell, (As if I had the power to do that! How arrogant of me that was.) I believe now that there are many who are sincere and are truly seeking to follow Christ.
- I no longer believe only friends and workers are going to heaven or that I have to go to meetings to go to heaven.
- I used to believe communion could only take place in a home but now I focus instead on what communion is, what it means and who it is about (Jesus) rather than on where.
- From going to meetings to not going to meetings.
- From going to church to not going to church. I’m not sure where I am with this one yet; it’s hard to go right now for some reason. I am comforted by the fact that I truly believe God understands why those of us who used to go to meetings find it difficult at times to go to another church.
- From knowing the friends and workers better than I knew God to spending years developing my relationship with God in a fresh and new way.
- From praying only on my knees (except for a meeting setting) to praying sitting on a chair, in bed, while I’m driving, in the shower, at work, on a walk, in the middle of a conversation, outside and inside, night and day. (Romans 12:12)
- From believing I was saved by works to believing in the Gospel of Grace. I seek not to abuse His grace but remember the huge debt of gratitude I owe to His saving grace.
I think this is a good idea of where I am at these days! 🙂 Most of the friends and workers might not recognize me outwardly now, but I hope they wouldn’t recognize me inwardly either.The unhappy, frustrated Darla is gone; especially the one many of you saw those last few years I was in the Work. I am a work in progress, and like Paul wrote, I haven’t yet attained to everything I strive to be but God is working within and slowly refining my heart and spirit to be like gold. I know a freedom within I never knew was possible. I have made new friends and have a few close friends that still attend the meetings. I will write next about what has been going on in my life in other areas in the next installment.
To be continued again…