My thoughts continue to think about other strongholds I have wrestled with the last 6-7 years especially. Here are a few more to add to the list I started in the previous post.
- Was it ok to go to another church?
- Is it was ok to take communion at another church. Was I going to hold on to “where” communion should be taken or “what” communion was truly all about? The form or the essence? (I used to wonder why we didn’t take communion at special meeting or convention when we were supposed to be such a spiritual people? The place was always more important than the event. Tragic.)
- The collection plate; was it ok to support my new church in that way?
- Can I/should I raise my hands in worship or not? Once I did do this, it was one of the most liberating and meaningful things for me ever. I at last had a physical expression for what my heart was feeling.
- Having a preacher who had a home and received a salary and often was married.
- Listening to Christian music; contemporary or otherwise. Anything other than “Hymns Old & New”.
- Did I have the freedom to dress how I wanted to as long as it was modest. To wear make-up, to wear jewelry.
- Not having to be in church every single Sunday if you are having quality time with God in another way that is more meaningful to you that morning.
- Living in a state of anxiety either some of the time or a great deal of the time rather than being anxious about nothing and praying about everything.
- Of not believing I am saved.
- Or not believing that God truly does love me just as I am.
- Or doubt.
I think this list is just beginning! We have been called to freedom! “Freed from blind traditions chain!”